Roadmap for OperaGame 2.0

You want to keep you informed of OperaGame's news, keep an eye on this forum.
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Roadmap for OperaGame 2.0

Post by cedricpc »

Hi,

I thought about something some days ago... There is no real guidelines for the development of OperaGame. So I've searched how to do that, and thereby, I've made a roadmap for OperaGame 2.0. So let me explain it.

Firstly, it should be 3 releases before the final version of OperaGame 2.0 :
  • The first will be called v2.0b1,
  • The second v2.0b2,
  • And the third v2.0rc1.
As you may suspect, the "b" in the first two versions means "beta" whereas "rc" in the third means "release candidate".

In fact, the first beta will be a version with the new OperaGame's structure but without new features. The second will correct bugs and regressions found in the previous beta plus new features which take advantage of the new structure. Then the release candidate will be logically a debugged v2.0b2 which will be renamed as v2.0 later if no major bug was found.

You couldn't take part of the first beta's development as each feature is already established in the latest v1.9. However, you can already make feature requests for the second beta, and you could report any bugs found for each future release, in the OperaGame's bugtracker. Feel free to suggest anything, besides no account is needed to make a new task! So it's very easy to do. After that, I'll approve it if it's realizable and it doesn't break the rules.
Also, you can follow the development in real time in the bugtracker as I update it as soon as possible. Note that I haven't yet filled it totally.

Finally, I don't know when the first beta will be release, probably not this week-end, but I hope that I'll be able to do it before mid-Septembre.

Anyway, more informations later. That's all, for the moment.

Updated on 2009-09-12 at 23:51:06.

Hi,

Some news since the previous message. It's nearly mid-september and I regret to inform you that it wouldn't be possible to release v2.0b1 this week.
OperaGame's core is practically finished as you can see it on the tasklist in the bugtracker. But it should take more time than expected to rewrite old OperaGame's features. There is more functions than I thought. :roll:

I hope that I'll be able to finish the core tonight...

Wait & see. :)
That's all, for the moment.
Software is like sex, it's better when it's free. (Linus Torvald)
andig
Novice
Novice

Re: Roadmap for OperaGame 2.0

Post by andig »

Thanks for info and good luck :).
Pozdrawiam :).
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Thanks. ;)

I've just to rewrite updater and decide where I'll put setting/menu item declarations and I could begin to rewrite "in game" feature. :mrgreen:

Updated on 2009-09-27 at 00:44:52.

Hi,

Some news since the last time... :) The updater is almost rewritten, I've just to polish it a little. It takes me more time than expected because I've totally rewrite it. It will be less obtrusive even though it is as visible.

Here is a screenshot to show it to you in action:

Note that it should change a little in the release considering that it's not polished and I haven't filled/corrected the language file.

Wait & see. :)
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

WOW, it's very nice, and ( I think ), it wil be more friendly to use :). Good jobe, and I cann't wait to see the final version :D.
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Hum, the final version... :roll: It won't be released before a long time... :D
Maybe before Christmas but the first beta have to be release before. But don't worry, I want to release it before mid-October. OperaGame's core is now totally rewritten, so I should progress more quickly if I have enough time. :)

Here is a new screenshot. It shouldn't change except the lack of setting categories which will grow little by little.
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

Ow, my mistake. I mean, the final version of that which you write, or beta xD. Anyway, it looks very nice :).
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Well, I've just try it under Linux and it works like a charm... :D At the same time, I found some rewrite omissions. :oops:
(At first sight, there is no visible difference with Windows' screenshot. But by taking a closer look, it's not exactly the same fonts. :roll:)

And another great thing, I've been able to make drag/drop working with the old OGame's design — thanks to Opera DragonFly which helped me to find the problem. :D
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

Promises to be a very interesting update :D.
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Mmm, but anyway, not for OGame's features. Except some bug fixes and some functions for the redesigned version, new features are planned for the second beta. :)

That's why you can use and abuse of the bug tracker to suggest any interesting feature for OperaGame 2.0b2 — I've already some private tasks planned. :D
When you'll get more informations over the first beta, I'm sure that you'll find some great ideas — there is an important thing in this version which was impossible to do previously. :roll:

Otherwise, I've rewrite the few features I've made for the redesigned version. I can now start the rewriting of the script's biggest part... I'll probably fill the task list with each features during the day or tomorrow in order to allow you to follow the progression. :)

Updated on 2009-10-09 at 00:48:09.

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of news since some days. My laptop screen is half-dead... So I don't use the laptop so often than before because I've to plug another my desktop's screen on it. And so I can't work in my bed, my favorite place to do that — more comfortable than a chair. ^^' Anyway, you aren't here to know where I spend my time to rewrite OperaGame, that's right? :lol:

In large part on account of this problem, I haven't do anything on OperaGame since my previous message, sorry. I've simply corrected some bugs today which occurs on OGame portal — yes, some OperaGame's functions work there :roll: — and rewrite a global function today. Also, I'll really fill the task list this night — edit: done. It should encourage me to resume the development. :mrgreen:

Maybe more informations tonight or this week-end.
Stay tuned. ;)
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

cedricpc wrote:
And so I can't work in my bed, my favorite place to do that — more comfortable than a chair. ^^'
Hehe... I know something, about this :P.
cedricpc wrote: In large part on account of this problem, I haven't do anything on OperaGame since my previous message, sorry. I've simply corrected some bugs today which occurs on OGame portal — yes, some OperaGame's functions work there :roll: — and rewrite a global function today. Also, I'll really fill the task list this night — edit: done. It should encourage me to resume the development. :mrgreen:

Maybe more informations tonight or this week-end.
Stay tuned. ;)
It's free software, so ( I think ) We understand, that there are days, that You don't want do anything, and then You don't programmer, it's normal ;), but We are pleased that You don't forget about Us - Users, and trying to mobilize for work, even writing this post. Thanks!!! Good look!!! And We are waiting ( I certainly xD ), for the next news ;).
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Thanks you too for your enthusiasm. ;)
andig wrote:We are pleased that You don't forget about Us - Users
You have to keep in mind something... ^^' I've started to work on OperaGame 2 for two major reasons. The first, it's because I'm an Opera user and an OGame player, like any OperaGame user, so it's very useful for me. :mrgreen: And the second, it's because I like programming and a project like this is a great way to upgrade my skills — I didn't know XDM techniques before for example. And as I'm not selfish, I don't keep it as a guarded secret. So as long as I'll keep to play on an OGame server and I know that there is OperaGame's users, I won't forgive you. ;)

Anyway, I haven't a lot of news for today, I've just rewritten a feature yesterday as you can see in the bug tracker, and I've also corrected a little display bug for the menu in old universes.

However, I've found an upsetting problem not directly due to OperaGame, but I won't give more informations for some reasons... :x So it will be highly recommended to upgrade to OperaGame 2.0b1 when it's released. :|

Maybe more news tomorrow. ;)

Updated on 2009-11-08 at 05:01:41.

Hi,

I'm sorry for this another lack of news... I've started to rewrite some old features. But it's not so easy as expected because I've to study again how some functions worked. So I've lost a part of my motivation as it's not very exciting to dissect a function written a lot of months ago. :| Therefore, I didn't spent as many times as before and I was progressing slowly. :oops: I'll try to speed up the pace... :roll:

Anyway. I've rewrited all galaxy's and messages' features along with quick navigation buttons and I'll strike at buildings' features.
Otherwise, if you look at the task list, you can see that some tasks are done at 90 %. These tasks are functional but should need some improvements because they have been implanted as they are. While closed tasks have been totally rewrited or, at least, improved to be faster and/or fired a little sooner.

I hope that I'll be able to complete the task list for the first beta before the end of this month. And when it's done, I'll make some stability/compatibility tests. So if someone want to participate to the debug phase before the public release, send me a PM please. ;)

Stay tuned.
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

I just wondered, why You didn't wrote so long any news :P.

Study = less time ?? Hmm... I know about this from somewhere :P. I think, the real issue date official, stable of this plugin is end of this year, and set Yourself a goal to do this :).
cedricpc wrote:So if someone want to participate to the debug phase before the public release, send me a PM please. ;).
- it's something for me :D.

Ofcourse, thanks for info and good luck :) !!!
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

I hope to start the second beta during December. ;-) But I think that it's too late to expect the second beta for this year, especially as I haven't got any suggestions for the moment... :|

Updated on 2009-11-12 at 22:24:34.

Hi,

It's just a message to say that I want to separate the « Informations générales » (Overall informations) category in another window which will only contain informations about OperaGame in itself. This window will be accessible by a shortcut in the OperaGame's menu. What do you think about that idea? In all cases, this window will be created, but do you think that it's necessary to keep these informations in the settings window? I think that it isn't because there isn't really a relation between settings and informations. But what's your opinion?

Thanks in advance to enlighten me. ;)

Updated on 2009-11-22 at 04:47:56.

Hi,

Well, I've done it. There is no longer something else than settings in the settings window. Besides, when an update is found, the OperaGame icon open the "About" window instead of the settings window. And both windows are all the time accessible from the OperaGame's menu.

Here is a little screenshot :

More informations later, stay tuned.
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

cedricpc wrote:Hi,

It's just a message to say that I want to separate the « Informations générales » (Overall informations) category in another window which will only contain informations about OperaGame in itself. This window will be accessible by a shortcut in the OperaGame's menu. What do you think about that idea? In all cases, this window will be created, but do you think that it's necessary to keep these informations in the settings window? I think that it isn't because there isn't really a relation between settings and informations. But what's your opinion?

Thanks in advance to enlighten me. ;)
Hmmm... i have thought, that i wrote answer, that it's good idea, and now i'm seeing that it doesn't have that :/.

Well, I've done it. There is no longer something else than settings in the settings window. Besides, when an update is found, the OperaGame icon open the "About" window instead of the settings window. And both windows are all the time accessible from the OperaGame's menu.

Here is a little screenshot :

More informations later, stay tuned.
Great, good move :) !!!

When I was watching this screen shot, I came up, that it would be nice, if you gave option, to change them :). This is nice for me, but not for all, and after 3,4..10 months it will be bored, so i think, that good idea is add some simple option to change them :).
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

andig wrote:Hmmm... i have thought, that i wrote answer, that it's good idea, and now i'm seeing that it doesn't have that :/.
You did that very likely when there was a problem with the database, the webserver's partition was full. Sorry... ^^'

When I was watching this screen shot, I came up, that it would be nice, if you gave option, to change them :). This is nice for me, but not for all, and after 3,4..10 months it will be bored, so i think, that good idea is add some simple option to change them :).
I won't because it needs some ugly code. :roll: At least, not for the moment. I'll allow that only if some people complain of this behavior. ;)
Anyway, the private release for debugger approach. Not probably tonight but I'll try to do it for tomorrow. ;)
Some updates will be available later because some functions are still rewritten as is and I don't want to be more slow to release a first sketch. :mrgreen:

Stay tuned.

Updated on 2010-02-13 at 20:49:54.

Hi,

Sorry for this "radio silence", I couldn't devote a lot of time to OperaGame these two last month... My TODO list has quite grow but I wasn't able to achieve a lot of things. Nevertheless, I've made some stuff like prevent definitely the Opera's onchange bug — I've made a workaround some years ago for the old design but it didn't work with the redesign version. I also write some debugging features in order to monitor and increase performances with the redesigned version in the future and corrected some mistakes here and there.

Otherwise, you can see in the forum header — and on the home page — that I've redrawn the OperaGame's logo in order to match the new Opera Peregrine's logo. It's now more simplistic, but I think it's more clean, don't you? :D
And a last thing... The "private release" that I expected at the beginning of December will be finally started in the next few hours. I've putted in place an invitation system, so just some people will be able to try the pre-release, but don't worry if you aren't very lucky, it'll be public in a few weeks. ;)

I hope that a lot of people will participate to this debug phase, thanks in advance to them... :)
Oh... And a very belated Happy New Year... :mrgreen:

Stay tuned.

Edit 2010-02-14 @ 00h40:
Invitation system is now enabled! Lucky users will begin to receive them inside OGame's page, when the updater retrieve update informations. ;)

Edit 2010-02-28 @ 04h35:
After increasing the probabilities, 40 persons — over 422 — have got an invitation, 34 over 208 when removing duplicates. However, just nine users seem to want to involve and I want at least ten testers, fifteen if possible.

Edit 2010-03-22 @ 15h04:
Well, no new invitation will be sent from now. Regardless, if you want to try the debug release, be patient for the official release, or try to find the invitation's page. :D

Updated on 2010-05-02 at 01:39:24.

Hi,

As always, sorry for the lack of news. I did not take a lot of time these last weeks to work on OperaGame, as you might have guessed. Therefore there is not a lot of news. All I have done since the first private release are some optimizations.

Otherwise, since I have not got any major complain from beta testers, I guess that there is no major problem. So I have decided to make available the pre-release for everyone tonight! :D However, do not expect the final beta 1, some polishing are still required for the "official" release. In other words, it is like a beta version for the beta — so I will call it "beta²"... :mrgreen:

In spite of this, updater is working — of course — and will find any update for the beta², along official release. Besides, current beta testers will be happy to know that a workaround, in order to get the mission manager and the prohibited add-on working, will be available. Thus, it would include all features that are already present in OperaGame v1.9.6. :)

Stay tuned for more informations tonight. ;)
Good night.

Edit @ 23h00:
As promised, you can now download the preview release for OperaGame 2.0b1, more informations here. Good testing and have fun! :D

NB: As it is not an official release, it is of course not available through the updater, so you have to download it once manually.

Known Issue:
  • Modifications are sometimes not fired, and a reload from cache is required.
Edit 2010-05-04 @ 01h45:
Known issue should be solved. And sorry for invited testers, the updater could not retrieve update's informations. It is solved too. :)

Updated on 2010-05-09 at 03:44:19.

Hi,

Some news since the first public release... Firstly, I am a little disappointed because nobody has download it since the latest week, expect invited testers. So it seems that this forum is little frequented. But it is understandable as there were no releases for almost 2 years. Secondly, some old universes will be moved to the redesigned version in some country in a few days! So it means that the most part of OperaGame will become useless — old features will no longer work — and I do not want to take my time to enhance/write features for the old version which will disappear in some weeks, in the best case scenario.

As all bugs are more or less solved, and because of these previous reasons, I will officially release OperaGame v2.0b1 — through the updater even for OperaGame 1.9 — as soon as possible in order to focus my work for the redesigned universes. Before, I just want to solve both bugs related to OGame v1.2.x — and to polish the "unforgotten" example add-on with a new amazing approach. :D All other tasks for the first beta will be definitely cancelled — they only have an optimization purpose.

I hope that I will be able to that today during the night, around 22h00. Note that the SVN repository will be reorganized in order to follow the conventional tree — /current/OperaGame will move to /trunk — and to make possible a further feature. :roll:

More informations later, so stay tuned.
Good night.
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

Hi,

Firstly - thanks for news ;). Sorry, that I didn't answered on news, but I was with many different things ( I started my own server, buy many different things, studying, I'm doing driving licence etc. ) and I hadn't been playing in this time in Ogame :P but i downloaded the newer version of Opera Ogame to see, what's new/different from older version :D. If You can see that someone downloaded the new version, I don't know, how it's possible, that You haven't seen my downloads :/. Perhaps, it's something wrong with Your system or something.

For a long time I''m going to translate Opera Ogame. Maybe in this month, I will be able to do that ;P.

When I was started play Ogame again, irritated me that in "Raw Materials" the 100% isn't first choice. Is it possible that you added this feature in the new Opera Ogame that 0% will be first possible choice ??

We ( I hope all of us - users xD ) stay tuned ;) and Good look :) !!!
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Hi,

Firstly, it would be hard to release it for 22h00 as expected, I couldn't solve both issues for redesigned universes... :( So the release will probably happen during the night, but when? I don't know.
andig wrote:Sorry, that I didn't answered on news, but I was with many different things ( I started my own server, buy many different things, studying, I'm doing driving licence etc. ) and I hadn't been playing in this time in Ogame :P
No problem... :D
andig wrote:If You can see that someone downloaded the new version, I don't know, how it's possible, that You haven't seen my downloads :/.
Don't worry, I saw you and rather seven times than once. ;)

Code: Select all

[...] andig [...] OperaGame_1_Core.js <r96.10050401>
I was talking about regular users who are still using OperaGame <= r96.
andig wrote:For a long time I''m going to translate Opera Ogame. Maybe in this month, I will be able to do that ;P.
Great. :)
andig wrote:When I was started play Ogame again, irritated me that in "Raw Materials" the 100% isn't first choice. Is it possible that you added this feature in the new Opera Ogame that 0% will be first possible choice ??
Hmm, I am not sure to understand exactly what are "raw materials"... If it's only related to the redesigned version, fill a task in the bug tracker for OperaGame v2.0b2. Otherwise, you should explain me quickly what do you want to mean if you want it for the first beta. :)

Probably some news in a few hours. ;)
Enjoy the rest of your evening.
andig
Novice
Novice

Post by andig »

Firstly, it would be hard to release it for 22h00 as expected, I couldn't solve both issues for redesigned universes... :( So the release will probably happen during the night, but when? I don't know.
Ok xD, no problem ;).
cedricpc wrote:
andig wrote:When I was started play Ogame again, irritated me that in "Raw Materials" the 100% isn't first choice. Is it possible that you added this feature in the new Opera Ogame that 0% will be first possible choice ??
Hmm, I am not sure to understand exactly what are "raw materials"... If it's only related to the redesigned version, fill a task in the bug tracker for OperaGame v2.0b2. Otherwise, you should explain me quickly what do you want to mean if you want it for the first beta. :)
Ok, so Image, and I want that first be 100%, not 0% ;). I know, that if I wnat 100% I must choose it, but I must long move the cursor, and why, if 100% could be just underneath ;) ??
cedricpc
Administrateur
Administrateur

Post by cedricpc »

Hum, oki. The problem also occurs with OGame 1.x when leaving vacation mode, but I cannot do anything... It should not always set this at 100 %, so how to know if it is needed or not? :)
<Home>, <Tab>, <Home>, <Tab>, <Home>, <Tab>, <Home>, [...], <Enter> is not so hard to do... :D Besides, even if the script do that itself, you will still have to submit form and visit each planet. :p
asdfgfh
Novice
Novice

Post by asdfgfh »

Hey!
Thannks for updating OperaGame :)
Just one question:
In old universes in fleet menu, can't select a planet to send a fleet. - is it Opera's fault or it's just cause of old universe? :) All other features are working fine.
Using WinXP, Opera 10.53 build 3381